Monday, April 11, 2011

Just Black?

I have found that many of my people and even those of different origins, would prefer accrediting all of our appeasing features to a race other than that of our own; Black. Now by no means am I saying that this is done by all, but I have seen it done by many. I have been asked on several occasions if I was “just Black”. I have received what I perceive as being backhanded complements such as; “Wow you’re pretty or you have nice hair, are you Brazilian, Porto Rican, Dominican, or mix with any of those”? These are questions that I have been asked by my people and those of a race different than my own. Why can’t I just be Black? “Just Black”, means reason for great pride in my eyes, this means I come from an original people to which no one can mistake as Mother earth’s most unique children. Why do we feel that our beauty isn’t good enough? Why do we try to validate our beauty through a race and origins of another? I hold great value and pride in where my beauty makes rise from, and I think we as a people should love and accept our beauty for who and what she is. We must let go of all society’s rigid standards of beauty and accredit her for all that she is, for when we release her and let her roam just as intended only then will our eyes be opened…My “Just Black” is beautiful, some of yall are just too blind to see it. 2011 how far have we come?

No comments:

Post a Comment