Friday, April 1, 2011

J-Shoc

Justin J-SHOC Reynolds
 
OSS: When did your passion for theatrical performance make rise?
J-Shoc: “When I was really small, around 3 or 4. My first play was Charlie Brown. Yea, I played Charlie Brown actually.”, says the artist with a laugh. “I did pretty good I guess, I would monologue and do stage monologue. And from there on my mom was like, ‘All right my boy can act and we need to go to California to see what‘s going on‘. Then he states “So from then on I played on Exit wounds, worked with That’s so Raven, worked with Will Smith on Seven Pounds. I just kept working my way up. I love acting, anything that has to do with entertainment and comedy and thing like that.” States the artist eagerly.

OSS: You sing, dance, act, and write and do so very well. Is there one that you think you prefer?
J-Shoc: “To be honest, I feel that dancing and singing are kind of like two links that you can’t really do without, if you’re a singer…I feel that dancing is like the main vows for the main heart which is singing. If you really think about it, like we’re listening to music, I don’t care who you are. Whether it’s rock or you like Tupac, it makes you feel free. You get a different vide and the time, either way you’re going to be moving. Whether it’s just a head bob.” The artist pauses, and then states with a light in his voice. “I just love music…but, what I love out of dance and music, which do I love most or more.”, he laughs and corrects himself. I’d have to go with singing. It’s something that I grew up with from church and being very, very soulful…”.

OSS: Tell us a little about your single “Runaway”.
J-Shoc: “…When I was in Vegas I told my producers Blackout, that I wanted something very futuristic, I wanted something with a different sound, something no one’s ever heard before.” , exclaims the young artist with a smile one could hear through the phone. “…So they sent it out, I was in my hotel room and I fell in LOVE with the record that they sent me. I didn’t know what to do I had so many different ideas, you know I was like “WOW”, this could be like Go Away, haha this could be like Runaway, this could be a lot of different things. I called up one of my really good friends who is a really good writer as well, her name is Abba and we really came up with a concept. “…From there on it just became magic”.

OSS: So Fat Joe of Terror Squad came to the shooting of your video for “Runaway”. What was it like to see that such an iconic rapper was expressing interest in you?
J-Shoc: “It feels, it’s one of the best feelings actually, EVER.”, Says the artist with a laugh. “To have a great icon like Fat Joe or loyalties from anybody, just the fact that people support me, and support the movement, and support the trend that I’m trying to do. That’s just the thing that I feel deep down inside about. That’s what I really do appreciate out of everything.” Says J-Shoc with a humble relief. “…It was just an honor”.

 OSS: Your vocal coach is Seth Riggs, and he has worked with icons like Michael Jackson, Prince, Ray Charles, and many others who’s music is considered “timeless”, what is that like to be working with one of the best?
J-Shoc: “You know, that’s definitely a guy that brought lot out of me, that I didn’t even know I had. And um, I didn’t think he, I didn’t think anyone could do it. “He’s worked with a lot of people of course you know, Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross. Everybody, you know Quincy everyone. One thing he told me that I’ll never forget he said, he even said it to my Mom was uh, ‘You’re doing something that I couldn’t do when I was 34 years old and I had been singing since I was 15.’”, and when he said that I was like ‘WOW’ this guy told me that I can…I’M GOOD”! says the artist with a light hearted laugh and further states. “I don’t know how to put it, but wow ok, and every since he said that it broadened my horizons, it turned something on and I was driven. I’ve had a lot of different types of success happening in my life and I just want it to keep on going, and never stop”.

OSS: You’ve danced for so many award winning stars, some being Ashanti and Chris Brown just to name a couple. You’ve accomplished so much thus far, what keeps you going?
J-Shoc: “ A lot of things keep me going, RED BULL ha ha, but to be honest I think what keeps me going is all the fans that I have right now. You know I’m nobody special, but on twitter I almost have like 40,000 followers, one of them even made me a chain, one of them made a clothing like for me. I feel that knowing that I’ve already captivated a lot of people with my music and everything I talk about. That’s good enough for me, just to say that’s the reason that I keep on going. I do what I love because I love it, and I’m not going to stop. If tomorrow I get into a bad accident I’m still not going to stop“.

OSS: You’re definitely an energizer bunny do you ever feel the wait of the industry?
J-Shoc: “Not really never, I feel that…one thing I don’t know why I feel this way but”. “…If you don’t like the paparazzi if you don’t like the different things that happen to you because you’re famous then why even join it, you know what’s going to happen. You know the consequences of becoming quote unquote ‘famous’”. Says J-Shoc sternly, he then further elaborates and says. “…You’re life is never the same, they tell you that in the beginning. Once people understand that your life will never be the same then there should be no excuses saying that, you know it’s on their shoulders and they don’t know what to do. Nah, I feel that I’ll be ok”. The artist states with a subtle yet sure confidence.

OSS: Single or taken?
J-Shoc: “Ha well I’m always single especially because, how can I say? I gotta stay young man! A lot of people don’t know how to stay young, they get taken and scooped up quick”! Says J-Shoc with a laugh. “…I mean to be honest with you if I had time for a relationship I would definitely consider it. It’s hard man I can barely come home and play video games, how do you expect me to keep a relationship going”! He states with non stop laughter.

OSS: Well when ever you do decide to settle down what would you say is your type?
J-Shoc: “I want someone that will remind of my Mom, NOT hit me when I’m wrong. Ha Ha, I want someone that will be there for me not for what I do, but who I am. I want someone that will be there for me through the ends and ups. I want someone to know the real me not, ‘J-Shoc’, not that alter ego. First of all I want a girl that knows how to cook, number two when I come home I want it to smell good, I like to smell clean”! He says in a joking manner. “…Someone that I could have a real conversation with, because I feel that a lot of girls lack conversation, if you don’t know about CNN or what’s going on in the world we are going to have some terrible times, ha ha. You know just a girl that’s educated, that’s smart, you know have a great body type ha ha. Just somebody with a great personality, that’s smart, and can cook, and as a bonus have a great body’. J-Shoc let’s us know with a chuckle.

OSS: What would you tell young artist hoping to make it in today’s industry?
J-Shoc: “Exactly what I tell myself, you have to have a drive”., “…and a really, really great backbone. Another thing is, and I know how terrible it sounds to a lot of people because they hear it a lot, I’ve heard it all my life. You always have to have a plan ‘B’, always have a plan to fall back on. It’s not because it’s not going to work out, no one’s ever saying that…they mean incase it doesn’t work out you have a plan ‘B’. I feel like it really does work, I’m in college as well, and I feel that when you’re educated people take you a little more seriously to be honest. So for the people out there that are trying to be singers, actors, and dancers just don’t stop.

Last thoughts;
J-Shoc Reynolds is phenomenal to say the least, he has accomplished so much and had such a humble and pleasant disposition. His out look on life is that which we all must have in order to succeed, he is positive and optimistic, and is fully aware of what life's realities hold. Many people, young people especially don't obtain a self actualized nature and J-Shoc does without a doubt. He is definitely a breath of fresh air and what I feel the industry needs. In this millennium the arts have been lost and I believe that J-shock will assist in their remerging. He had great points and through out the on again off again intense moments we faced through the interview he kept me laughing, so what more could a girl ask for. J-shoc we wish you the best luck and want to thank you for being a part of our movement.
follow J-Shoc!

No comments:

Post a Comment